Monday, March 10, 2014

Journal 52 Week 10 - Art for a Cause

The challenge this week over at Journal 52 is to make a page or create something that has to do with a "cause".  I chose Breast Cancer Awareness.

I am doing Artist Trading Cards or ATCs for this particular challenge with the idea that at the end of the year I will have 52 little cards that I can put into a box like a deck of cards.  The cards are 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches in size which is the standard size for a deck of regular playing cards.

Recently on Pinterest (have I mentioned that I am a Pinterest addict?) I found a technique that I have wanted to try.  The idea is to take a piece of acetate and drop several colors of alcohol inks and blend them with some blending solution to produce somewhat transparent background.  Then you stamp over the background using any color of archival ink.After a few minutes you can buff off the archival ink and the lettering is completely clear and you can see it against the background.  The examples shown on the website, Paper Wings Productions looked so nice.

Well, took a few tries and mine don't look like the examples but it is a pretty cool technique.

Here is my first go round.

You can't really see it but if you hold the ATC under a light/lamp it looks kind of 3-D.  But I didn't really like how it looked.  When I wiped the ink off and the letters from the stamp were clear you couldn't read it.  But, when I tried stamping over it again with the black archival ink and letting it dry it didn't look good either.  And the alcohol inks on the piece of acetate more or less obliterated my pink background with the white ribbons.  So I decided to try to do something a little different.

Take 2.
I like this much better but you don't get the whole acetate effect.  The saying is stamped on a piece of acetate and glued onto the card.  The background of the card was made by drawing the white ribbons with a white oil pastel crayon then spraying with Pink Bubblegum and White Linen Dylusions inks.  The butterfly was cut out of tin from a soda can using my trusty Cuttlebug and then inked with the different alcohol inks.  I actually am very pleased with how it turned out in the end.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: