Sunday, January 11, 2015

New Year, New Journal

The Art to the 5th ladies have started the new year with new challenges and a new journal.

The first two challenges are complete.

January's theme is "The blank page and how to face it".

Week 1:  Book Paper
Journal prompt:  Be your own goal keeper.



I used many different pieces of text pages, book paper, etc as the base of my page.  I then used some watered down gesso over that so that you could still see the text through the layer.  Several different colors of paints and inks and lots random ink marks with a black fine point marker and white gel pen completed the background.
I used black gesso to pull out an area on the side of the spread to write my goals for the year.  I really liked the idea of using goals instead of resolutions.  Resolutions, at least in my life, tend to go by the wayside fairly soon after the new year.  Goals are more fluid. 

I used the word "begin" because this is the beginning of the year, the beginning of the DLP prompts and the beginnin of my new journal.



Week 2: Gesso
Journal prompt:  "The beginning is always today."  ~Mary Shelley


I used Dylusions spray inks for the background after prepping the page with gesso.  I decided to use one page for this prompt.  I used Tim Holtz Black Soot Distress ink through two different stencils. Over all this I added clear gesso.  Then I tried to use gesso through a stencil with limited success.  I tried to put the gesso on using a brush and I think I would have been a little more successful had I just used my fingers.  Oh, well live and learn.
Thanks for visiting.
~pam

No comments: