Friday, January 16, 2015

Bible Journaling

I just discovered a whole new world.  Bible Journaling!!! There is even a community of journalers on Facebook.  I found this randomly on Tuesday.  I was so excited I immediately ordered my journaling Bible from Amazon here.  I'm holding out for the NKJV which is my favorite version but it isn't going to be shipped until July 2015.  That's OK because I told my husband that it was going to be my birthday present from him.

But, I can't wait that long to start so I pulled out another of my Bibles that I don't use because the print is way to small for these old eyes.  And started a study of Psalms on Merri Dennis' website.  The study is called 52 Weeks of Psalms.  I don't think it will take me 52 weeks since I've already done 3 weeks in 2 days.  I am journaling directly into this Bible.  This at first seemed very wrong but I really don't use this Bible for study as I said because the print is too small so instead of it just sitting on the bookshelf why not use it for a good purpose.  I am also making something that is uniquely mine and I plan to give it to my granddaughter Lydia when she is old enough.  I am really trying to keep the art light so that the text can still be seen.  You will see in another picture that I had a little mishap and covered some of the text.  Also, I have studied more on my own in the last 3 days than in the last year.  This can only be a good thing and I believe in it.

Here is my first work:

 
For Psalms 1 I chose the passage Psalms 1:3
And he will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water,
Which yields its fruit in its season,
And its leaf does not wither
I drew a tree and a leaf and colored them with colored pencil.
 
Psalms 3: 3
But Thou, O Lord, art a shield about me,
My glory, and the one who lifts my head.
I drew a shield and wrote "Shield me Oh God."
 
Psalms 7: 17
I will give thanks to the Lord according to His righteousness,
And will sing praise to the name of the Lord Most High.
I wrote "Sing for Joy" and drew notes to represent singing.  We sing accapela in our Church during services and I love how all the voices blend in harmony.  I love to sing Hymns.  I feel like I am worshiping God this way.
 
Psalms 8:3
When I consider Thy heavens, the work of Thy fingers,
The moon and the stars, which Thou hast ordained;
This is where the journaling went a little wrong.  I used my Twinkling H2Os to paint a dark sky through a mask.  They weren't quite as see through as I though it would be.  But I love it.  I used some glitter glue to make the stars. 
 
Even though it is a little dark, you can still read almost the entire text through it. 
 
Thank you to the Admins of the Journaling Bible Community for adding me.  I am loving all the beautiful artwork and lettering that the others are doing.  To a Christian and artist this is the perfect marriage of the two things I love.
 
Thanks for stopping by.
~pam
 

 



No comments: