Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Black Gesso Experiment

I received my order yesterday of Claudine Helmuth's Black Gesso.  I wasn't sure exactly how to use it but with brush in hand and my smaller journal I took a deep breath and waded in.


I am loving this.  The colors just pop off the black.  I painted the center of the page with the black gesso making sure to drag some swipes up and down into the areas I left white.  I used a stamp loaded with titanium white Liquitex soft body acrylic paint to stamp over the black gesso.  I then painted some pyrrole crimson and iridescent rich gold Liquitex soft body acrylic making sure to overlap and mix them in some areas.  The mixed areas became this beautiful rich rosé gold color.  I then used a white gel pen to place a few scribbles on the page.  The pen marks just weren't bold enough for all that color so I used a Bic Wite-out Pen to make a few more scribbles.  I then got out the black Alpha chips and spelled the word "respect".  At first I painted the letters with the same colors I used on the background but they faded into the background a little too much.  I wiped the paint off with a baby wipe to soften the colors and that made the letters pop out just enough.  I am really liking this page.  It is so different than anything I have ever done.  I think that is why I love art journaling so much.  It allows me to stretch my creativity without too much pressure to come up with a masterpiece.  I can either share it or not.  

I am so happy that you stopped to visit.  I would love for you to leave a comment and stop by anytime.

~Pam

No comments: