Thursday, June 18, 2015

Father's Day







My dad is going to be 84 years old in July.  He has pretty much everything he could want and if he doesn't then he just buys it.  However, his wants are pretty much nothing.  Anytime you ask what you can get him the answer is always the same......"Don't buy me anything.  I don't need anything and you should just save your money."

He is my muse and inspiration because he is an artist.  Here are just a few of his paintings.




So I wanted something special for him.  I saw this post on the GelliArts website for using a print to make a paperweight.  That got me thinking.  I ordered the paperweight using the link on the website and it arrived in about a week.  

I remembered a YouTube video I had seen (go here) showing how to use a GelliArts printing plate to make packing tape transfers.  I loved the idea and got to work creating some of my own.  Here is an example of my three strips of printed packing tape.  The photo doesn't do it justice because you can't appreciate how much shimmer and shine it has.  And the colors are much more intense than what you can see in the photo.

Here is a close up of part of the strip but still not showing up well.
I loved this technique and I will definitely be doing it again.  I used the pieces of packing tape transfer and cut them down to fit the circular opening on the bottom of the paperweight.  Then I cut out the letters for D>A>D from a purple heavyweight cardstock.  Here is the finished product.  I think he will like it since it is homemade and I didn't really spend but about $11.00 on the paperweight.

Thanks for stopping by.
~pam

No comments: